Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Piano

When Darrin and I decided that we were moving to Ohio, I had a hard time with the fact that I wouldn't be able to drive to my mom's house and play her piano. My sweet grandma called me up one evening as I was walking into a relief society activity with my mom. I remember her telling me that she was going to let me take her piano with me to Ohio if I could find some people to get it out of her basement and to the shop to be fixed. I just remember trying so hard not to cry and of course I found people to move it (my dad and Darrin!)
This piano was the piano that my grandma learned on when she was a little girl.
The piano was the only thing I cared about making it to Ohio in one piece. It was the first thing on the truck and had several cushions around it. It made it out here and it barely made it through our door. (Thanks to the Elders, my husband, and my dad!)
I have loved having a piano out here where I can sit down any time and just play until my heart is content. Because I work 12 hour days and I get home and am exhausted, I have not really had the chance to play it often (and because our second bedroom, where the piano is, has become a storage room. Lets be honest, it was scary going in there...I couldn't get to the piano).
This week is my spring break so I told myself before I can do anything fun, I had to clean the second bedroom. Well, the bedroom is clean and I have been able to enjoy my piano every single night. I have sat down and played for hours. I am sure our neighbors are getting pretty tired of it.
Thanks Grandma for letting me bring your piano out here! It means a lot to me! :) I think about you every time I sit down to play! Love you!

3 comments:

  1. Don't you love how the extra room goes to pot when no one is using it on a daily basis.
    Glad you have been able to play that piano---though I'm shocked that you are still having a spring break, I thought all those snow days added up to your "break" haha.
    A piano is what I've always wanted from the moment I moved away--its such a big cost but totally worth it, needless to say I'm totally jealous. How sweet of your Grams to let you take it to Ohio.

    Love and miss you--and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A piano is priceless! I have my Grandma's piano, yet out of tune I still play it everyday. I am so glad you got to take it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't looked at your blog forever and when I clicked on it tonight, I was so surprised to see your "tribute" to me and the piano. I am so glad that YOU are the one to have MY piano. I know that you appreciate it and that it will be well taken care of and loved. I hope your children will someday play it. I love you. Love your Grandma

    ReplyDelete