Tuesday, September 18, 2012

U.S. Air Force Half Marathon

One year ago we were asked by some friends to watch their little boy while they ran the Air Force Half Marathon. We showed up at the Air Force Base bright and early and watched their little boy for them while they ran the race. After the race the group that ran told us that we had one year to train and be ready for the next one. Darrin thought it would be fun and I quickly volunteered to watch all the kids again!
Well, that one year quickly passed and we found ourselves signed up for the U.S. Air Force Half Marathon.
Our training was off and on in the early spring and summer. We would go over to our fitness room and work out and I would dream about running! The middle of July we decided that we really needed to buckle down and start training if we wanted any chance of surviving this marathon.
Our first run outside was on a bright and early July morning. We ran down the street and back (about 2 miles) stopping to walk twice. I told Darrin there was no way I was going to be able to run 13 miles!
Well, that run turned into 2 short runs a week (between 3 and 5 miles) and one long run a week (between 8 and 10 miles). We were actually enjoying this....I never thought that would happen! We were able to spend 30 minutes to 2 hours together just the 3 of us! Ella was a trooper. She loves riding in her jogging stroller.
September 15 had finally arrived and we found ourselves back at the air base this time ready to run. We arrived bright and early to watch the B-2 plane fly over (one of Darrin's favorite planes).
The race started at 8:30 and I felt pretty good as we were running in and out of the thousands of other runners. The course takes you around the air base. We hit mile 6 and I told Darrin that I thought we could probably run the entire thing. I was feeling really good. Darrin agreed so we continued one step in front of the other. At mile 8 we were running on the highway and I tripped on a pot hole. I caught myself and we continued running with a few complaints of a hurt toe. Once mile 10 came around we were ready to be done but we knew we couldn't give up. I was grateful to have Darrin by my side the entire time encouraging me! I am pretty sure I would have stopped at mile 7 and walked the rest of the way! Mile 12 came and we could hear the crowd cheering and see the finish line. We ran under the wings of a C-17 plane as we came through the finish line holding hands of course! Our official time was 2 hours 20 minutes and 38 seconds. We are very proud of this accomplishment and are grateful to some friends who talked us into doing it!
We had a whole group of some of our dearest friends running with us!  We sure are lucky to have such a great group of friends out here in Ohio. We also had some dear friends volunteer to watch Ella and 2 other little children for us while we all ran! We are even talking about flying out next year to run it again.....hmm....I think we might be a little crazy....






No comments:

Post a Comment